Time Capsule Poetry


By Dennis Lantz


Time capsules fascinate me. Somehow, the concept of opening a sealed vault to find objects that were purposefully hidden away just for you to discover is the essence of Christmas, archaeology and time travel combined into one blissful event. Letters, photographs and trinkets from that earlier time not only can reveal a different period, but also the spirit of those who placed the items there.

Not all time capsules are intentional. In my early twenties, after a couple of rather poor short stories were rejected by various magazines, I changed my focus to poetry. Oddly, but quite tellingly, I didn’t read poetry. Today I can appreciate good verse, but even now I struggle to distinguish the quality of this genre. I didn’t consider myself to be a poet; more of a wordsmith using certain meter in an attempt to capture a particular meaning. I readily admit that a few of the poems were not good, but I put a lot of time into them. A few still make me smile and that is all that matters. 

It is crazy to think that most of the poems were written between twenty-five and thirty years ago. When I lived on Ghent Hill I kept most of my writing notebooks in unorganized plastic totes, interspersed with hundreds of books, mementoes and papers of importance only to me. When I moved to Warren Center I brought everything with me. For the most part, the totes stayed unopened, just like a time capsule. 

Over the years I lost track of these poems. I thought hard copies existed but I didn’t know where they were. Some of the totes were not impervious to the small furry creatures that have no regard for the written word, let alone poetry. I’ve tossed many a memory away because of them, but that is a subject for another day. When I moved from the trailer into the house, I brought the totes with me. I eventually went through them and read from my old notebooks. I had a grand time, but the poems were not there. 

When I began writing the original draft of My Handprint, I reminisced about the poems. My last resort was to try to recover them from a long unused computer still in the old trailer. This had been subjected to periods of extreme cold and hot and hadn’t been turned on in eight years or so. I wasn’t even positive they were on there because, while I thought I had sent them via email to Christy, I couldn’t be certain that I had saved them. Knowing myself, I likely did. 

Anyway, the following paragraph is from a journal I wrote in June 2016:

I FOUND THEM!!!! I went down to the trailer to get the computer and was searching through the closet in the small blue room and discovered storage totes inside that still contained a bunch of my old notebooks. I thought I had brought everything to the house, but was amazed to see that there were two entire totes of older writings. As I was looking through these I came across a manila envelope that contained hard copies of many of my poems! 

That was an exciting day. Hence the multiple exclamation marks. So, that is enough background. Now it is time to present a few of my poems that have not seen the light for years. Other than Christy and possibly one or two other people (and I can’t recall anyone for certain), they were not shared until now. 

I hope you enjoy them.  Of the dozen or so from that time period, I have selected four.

The Spirit    2/6/93

Listen close, you’ll hear the ghost
Of the ancient One whose tempered hands
Did feed the flame to start the game
Of ancestry along the coast
Of some resplendent ocean realm.

Since Adam lived we’ve roamed the earth
Among the dead in search for life,
A pact was sealed for man to yield
The knowledge Time replaced with mirth
And petty codes of civil’ty.

Just cup your ear and catch the sound
Of steady chants and windy choirs,
A single note the master wrote
In purest form it can be found
Will often soothe the wildest beast.

The sheathes of grain show no remorse
For blood that’s seeped and stained the past,
The gilded beam retains its gleam
Reflected in the water’s course
To shout the touch of deity.

But none compare, you snatch their hail
While calm descends behind closed eyes,
But woe the bane, December rain
Has come to rend the virgin veil,
It wakes you and the moment’s gone.

Not only does the winter’s rain
Intrude upon the sweet repose,
It rails the voice of human choice
That Cain was cast and Abel slain
And Eden lost to all mankind.

Wishing on a Star    8/7/89

If chance be kind and fate be fair,
Into your life a shooting star
Will fall for you to wish upon.
The flashing arc in jet black sky
Holds secrets only ancients knew
To lift the soul that’s feeling blue
And bring pleasures unforetold.
But heed these words and heed them well,
To wish on naught but pers’nal gain
Brings naught but tears and endless pain,
So wish instead for all mankind
And gain with all what all does need –
Like peace and love and harmony,
For these are every good man’s dreams,
And dreams like these – if wished by you
Have more the chance of coming true.

Dreams

In dreams
We shed
Our mortal thread –
Our passions
Like a thousand stars,
Illuminate the way

Vampires  (finished 11/22/92)

We prey on innocents, you know,
As barb’rous beasts we sink our teeth
Into the earth, our hands to sow
The seeds of long imposed desires.
But how can justice stop the dead
Who blinded fly with wanton thrill
Upon the air, our cravings fed
By roots of learned avarice?

We thrive on ignorance, you see,
Our features change when darkness reigns
Upon our soul, the lust profanes
The innate voice of kindled dreams.
O siblings and mirror twin
Our gilded tales have failed to hide
The painted, tainted peace within,
Which drifts along in slow decay.

Come join the feast, your hungers show,
We prey on Innocents, you know.

The unintentional time capsule from which these came, held others. I am sure I will share more soon.

Until then,

Read, Learn, Live.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vivian Mae Humphrey West

My Hogan Journal

Lora Ethelina Horton Zeller Schraeder